The Picture Press invites open submissions from photographers who are keen to draw out a development concern relating to Sri Lanka and South Asia through their photographs and narratives. We encourage particularly amateur and hobbyist photographers from any part of the world to send in submissions to The Picture Press. From time to time we will also feature submissions by professional photographers and photojournalists.
Top three things you need to think about when submitting:
- Is the photograph(s) the “hero” of your submission?
- Is your submission accompanied by a compelling narrative?
- Does the narrative engage viewers to think about a wider development issue?
You should follow these basic guidelines:
- The submissions must be your original work, and you must have full rights to the images(s).
- For single photo submissions – one photograph with an accompanying narrative of up to 150 words
- For photo sets – a series of at least 3 photographs with a common thread for the narrative. Each photo must be accompanied by a narrative of no more than 50 words
- Photographs should be sized to 1000×650 pixels and be submitted in jpeg format. The file size for each photograph should not exceeding 5MB
- No individual watermarks, copyright information should be placed on the centre of the image, only at the bottom right. If you do not place a copyright notice, we can place one for you with the name and year that you provide.
- Photographs should not have been manipulated digitally except for basic edits to brightness, contrast, hue, sharpness and cropping.
The curators reserve the right to edit narratives for grammar, spelling, and structure, but will not make content changes to originally submitted narratives. Curators will not alter the photograph in any way, except any adjustments to size in order to suit the layout.
Each submission should be accompanied by a completed submission form available via Google Docs here. You will receive an email acknowledging that your submission has been received. Once it is live we will inform you and send you the link. You can send your submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have any questions or suggestions, just write to us – we are always interested in hearing from you!